Fire Extinguisher Requirements
The requirements for the type and placement of the extinguishers are as follows:
- At least one portable fire extinguisher shall be installed in all one and two family dwellings (except seasonal rental units) upon change of occupancy.
- The fire extinguisher shall be listed, labeled, charged and operable.
- The size shall be no smaller than 2A:10BC, rated for residential use and weigh no more than 10 lbs.
- The hangers or brackets supplied by the manufacturer must be used.
- In any kitchen without wall space, the fire extinguisher must be located within 10 feet of the kitchen and must be clearly visible from the kitchen.
- The fire extinguisher must be mounted and must be clearly visible in the kitchen and be in a readily accessible location, free from being blocked by furniture, storage, cabinets or any other items.
- The top of the fire extinguisher must not be more than 5 feet above the floor.
- The fire extinguisher must be near a room exit or travel path that provides an escape route to the exterior.
- The fire extinguisher must be accompanied by an owner’s manual or written information regarding the operation, inspection, and maintenance of the fire extinguisher.
- The fire extinguisher must be installed with the operating instructions clearly visible.
- The extinguisher shall be serviced and tagged by a certified division of fire safety contractor within the past 12 months or the seller must have a receipt for a recently purchased extinguisher